Type of Stem Cells we use for treatment
We have a successful 10-year experience in studies of the usage of the potential of Stem Cells for the treatment of a large number of diseases, so our experts concluded that the greatest effect is given by the use of the patient’s own (autologous) and donor (allogenic) Stem Cells as well alone or in combination with each other.
Donor (allogeneic) cell products are:
● Multipotent Mesenchymal SStem Cells (MMSCs) from the placenta and umbilical cord
● Hematopoietic cord blood Stem Cells (СВHSCs )
● Exosomes (concentrate of regenerative substances secreted by Stem Cells)
We have the expertise in collection and cultivation of Stem Cells from the patient’s body (own or autologous Stem Cells). However, many clinical studies worldwide and our 10 years of clinical experience with Stem Cells from various sources prove the advantage of using donor Stem Cells. Therefore, in treatment programs, can be used donor cells from cord blood (Hematopoietic Stem Cells (HSCs) from and placenta-tissue derived Multipotent Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MMSCs) as well as their combination with the patient’s cells.
● Stem Cells, both own and donor, belong to an immunoprivileged type of cells: there is no special protein on their surface (a class II molecule of the major histocompatibility complex). Therefore, Stem Cells are not recognized by the body’s immune system and can easily penetrate the site of tissue and organ damage without the risk of rejection or the occurrence of adverse reactions from their administration.
● Donor cells are the youngest and most active Stem Cells, taken immediately after a child’s birth. Therefore, the therapeutic effect of their use is much higher than that of their Stem Cells, both for adults and young patients.
● When using donor cells, there is no need to collect cells from the patient himself, which is usually done under general anaesthesia. Thus, we do not harm the central nervous system with anaesthesia. This is particularly important for patients with neuro-regenerative diseases (cerebral palsy, autism, multiple sclerosis, etc.)
● Donor cells are always available in our certified biobanks. They are selected individually for the patient in advance; thus, we can immediately begin the treatment procedure on the first visit to the clinic.
● Safe – used for a transplant for more than 30 years as HSC (Hematopoietic Stem Cells) source;
● Highly active due they harvested in newborns (youngest adult cells);
● Contains many different cells with neuroprotection and immunologic preferences.
● Collected and stored in certified cord blood bank (EFI, WMDA, ISO);
● Most effective bank in Russia, with more than 50 transplants worldwide.
The safety of allogeneic umbilical cord blood infusions for the treatment of neurological conditions has been proven in numerous clinical studies
Paton MCB, Wall DA, Elwood N, Chiang KY, Cowie G, Novak I, Finch-Edmondson M. Safety of allogeneic umbilical cord blood infusions for treating neurological conditions: a systematic review of clinical studies. Cytotherapy. 2022 Jan;24(1):2-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jcyt.2021.07.001. Epub 2021 Aug 10. PMID: 34384698
From the comparative analysis, it has been concluded that Stem Cells sourced from the placentas have a higher potential for reproduction (which is important in preparing therapeutic doses of cell products) compared with Stem Cells extracted from other sources.
Research has established the unique properties of the placental Advantage of using allogeneic placenta-tissue-derived Multipotent Mesenchymal Stem Cells (MMSCs), reliably confirming their greater efficiency and potency compared to MMSCs isolated from other sources. For instance, the proliferative capacity of each placenta cell constitutes almost twice the proliferative rate of bone marrow and adipose tissue cells.
Taking into account the size and histological structure of the human placenta, the amount of MMSCs that can be isolated from it is also much higher. As a result, the total time and amount of required manipulations to the cells are reduced, thus mitigating all the risks associated with in vitro cultivation.
MMSCs also, regardless of their source, have immunomodulatory and immunosuppressive properties. This type of cell is widely used to treat autoimmune responses. The latest Placenta Stem Cell research established that placenta-derived MMSCs have stronger immunomodulatory properties (based on the comparative analysis).
Yet another important advantage of using these specific placenta cells is the possibility of requiring immediate cell therapy for some patients in severe conditions or patients with a fast disease progression, which cannot be postponed for the period necessary for the preparation as an autologous product